Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review #4 [Moon Called by Patricia Briggs]


Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too. 

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself ... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.



-----

Okay, let me start off by saying , you will see these types of books on my blog.

What an amazing addition to the Urban Fantansy Genre! Patricia Briggs has officially become one of those authors I'll look out for. She's created an interesting world filled with werewolves, faes, vampires, etc.

Moon Called is about a young skinwalker/shapeshifter named Mercedes Thompson, Mercy for short. Mercy has the ablilty from birth to turn into a coyote at will. Mercy is a strong-willed and independent young woman living on her own, doing her own thing fixing cars. I really like her because it's rare for a YA/UNF female character to be so level-minded, not making stupid decisions left and right all the time. Mercy's not perfect, far from it. But, that just makes me love her even more.

Now, for the boys. Our main guy for this series and Mercy's companion/mate is Adam Hauptman. Adam. ADAM! OMG. He's the alpha of the local werepack. Man, is just...I don't even know. But, I LOVE HIM. Now, of course when it comes to anything Alpha, you have the typical domineering, overprotective, slightly crazy aspect but I mean what else do you expect from a guy who turns into a wolf and also has to look after other homicidal werewolves while controlling yourself. I'd be damn crazy myself! I adore his relationship with Mercy, how we get to see his subtle possessiveness over Mercy when another but familiar wolf comes into the picture.

Other important characters introduced that will show up again in the series is :

Stefan (Mercy's vamp friend) Warren (Adam's third in command) Bran (the head of all weres in America)Samuel (Mercy's old love interest/friend).

What I really liked about what Briggs did is that this book is not over the top. imo of course. We don't have all these unnecessary situations popping everywhere. This was a great start to the series and Mercy/Adam's relationship. It's pretty consistent. And, we also dive into the structures and dynamics of a were-pack, courtesy of Mercy. (she was raised by wolves..literally. XP) This isn't the only book, there are 3 or 4 books already released with more to come.

I totally recommend this book for any of you fellow urban fantasy/shapeshifter/werewolf lovers. I'll leave you with my a quote:

“A werewolf tossed me against a giant packing crate while I was trying to rescue a frightened young girl who'd been kidnapped by an evil witch and a drug lord.” ― Patricia BriggsMoon Called

Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...