Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review #21 [Storm by Brigid Kemmerer]




Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream.

Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
------

Today I will review Brigid Kemmerer's debut YA novel "Storm"!

OMG.

no.

HOLY BATMAN THE MERRICK BROTHERS!


In Storm, we are introduced to the Merrick brothers. We have eldest Michael, the twins Nick and Gabriel and the youngest Chris. These brothers are nowhere near ordinary, they have the ability to manipulate the natural elements of the earth. (hence elementals..hehe). Now, each brother has their own element. Mike - earth ; Nick- air ; Gabe - fire ; and Chris is water. Storm is an introduction to the Elemental world, to the Merrick backgrounds and the boys themselves.

It is told from the youngest - Chris - point of view.One thing I loved about Chris's POV whenever he was around his brothers is that you get the sense of the indecisiveness the youngest of a group of siblings would feel if they were put into a tense situation. Say, like if they fight and argue. Now, I can't say what it feels like exactly because I'm not the youngest of my family; I'm more middle/eldest. But, Brigid wrote it so well, that you understood and felt what Chris was going through.

Like for instance the scene in the yard with the four brothers..(don't worry; no spoilers) and how Chris didn't know what to do or who to back up. He was confused and helpless. And, I LOVED it. It was so good; it's one of my favorite scenes. I have to give up for Brigid she wrote the voice of a teenage boy so well. And, not many people can do that.

Okay, okay. I'm going on and on about the boys. Which trust I can continue to do. But, I have yet to introduced the other lead. Becca Chandler. Becca has some tough times at school, she's a pretty tough girl. She held her own when the time came, and never back down. She refused to become the victim again. I won't say much about the "victim" comment because it will just give away too much. We also have Hunter, the mysterious new kid and also Chris' competition for Becca's attention.

I'll be honest. I found myself at time skimming through Becca's POV, and no not because she didn't interest me. It's because the boys interested me ALOT more. (lol). I just couldn't wait until the story went back to them.

Now, for the baddies. We have an organization called the Guides. And, their kind of the people who keeps the Elemental society in check. The boys and Becca go through some problems with them, that lead to a good handful of action packed moments.

The next book of the Elemental series is Spark. And, it's told from hot headed fire-starter Gabriel's POV.

AND I CAN'T WAIT. MY FAVORITE MERRICK BROTHER! And, with Gabe's POV that means we'll also get some Nick. And, I just love the twins. O-O

Rating: 5/5

Quote: 

"Inch by Inch, Hunter lowered the gun into Michael's palm, finally letting go.
Michael didn't move. "You all right?"
Hunter nodded.
"Good." Michael wrapped his hand around the hilt.
Then he lifted it, cocked the hammer, and put the barrel against Hunter's forehead. "Now, where the fuck are my brothers?""

I did a combination of aww-oh shit go Mikey-hell yeah fist pump moment at this scene. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...